Thursday, October 25, 2012

Relative Poverty


I know when some people think of poverty they think of rural areas like in the documentary we watched (Brother's Keeper). My idea of poverty is a little bit different. I am from a very rural area. We have one traffic light and it's just a caution light. We have one store and it's run by my grandfather's first cousin, E.L. and everyone that ever went to my high school would always stop at "E.L's" after school to get a drink or get gas since it was the only place within about 10-15 miles to do so. My neighbor to the right is a farmer and his family, and my neighbor to the left is my cousin living in what used to be my grandmother and grandfather's house before they passed away. I had lived in the same place my entire life until I came to Samford. So when I think of a rural area, I don't think of poverty. I think of my neighbor who is more wealthy than anyone would ever know by talking to him. I think about E.L. who has more money saved up than I could ever even imagine, yet still drives the same truck he has had since I can remember.
E.L.'s store
View from my front yard into my neighbor's farm (and my adorable puppy Charlie)

Basically I think it all comes down to relative poverty. Two people from two different areas could have the same income but one could be in poverty and the other one not in poverty. There are several reasons for this. First of all, the cost of living is lower in rural areas so they are not going to have to pay as much for bills, a house, etc. Second, the rural person could possibly have other advantages like being able to get food from their garden or eggs from the chickens they raise. This helps them save a lot of money. The cost of living isn't the only thing that poverty depends on. There is also the factor of what sort of things people in a certain area value. For example, in the city, someone could live without a car. They could use public transportation which can get expensive if you have to use it everyday. In rural areas, that's not really an option. If you or your family doesn't have a car, you just sit at home. So while the two people may have the same income, it doesn't necessarily mean they are at the same place on the poverty scale. With the cost of living being so radically different in different areas, it's hard for me to believe there is a perfect measure of absolute poverty. It's not that I think there aren't people in rural areas that are in poverty. I know there are a lot. I just think that while some people may be under the poverty line, they very well might be living off what they grow/raise and not be as bad off as they seem.

 
 
2008. Lindsey. Absolute Poverty Vs. Relative Poverty: The Search for Survival. http://voices.yahoo.com/absolute-poverty-vs-relative-poverty-search-for-909253.html

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that it can depend on where you live that determines if you live in poverty or not because of the cost of living. Also, I think it has to do with what people value. I know people who have lots of money but just by looking at them and seeing how they dress and what they drive you would think that they are barely getting by. Some people would rather not spend money on items like trendy clothing or nice cars and to others it may seem like they are just poor.

    ReplyDelete